Best 50 MLK Quotes for Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day – also known as King Day and MLK Day, among others – is a federal holiday observed in the United States to celebrate the life and the brilliant legacy of the iconic American civil rights activist and clergyman Martin Luther King Jr. This civil rights hero is best known for his relentless campaigns for racial equality and the advancement of civil rights in America purely through nonviolent resistance.
He is also remembered around the globe for his famous I Have A Dream Speech, which he delivered at the 1963 March on Washington. In 1964, he received the Nobel Peace Prize for fighting racial inequality in America through nonviolent means. King was assassinated on April 4, 1968 at the age of 38. In honor of King’s remarkable life and legacy, on this MLK Day we would like to share with you some of his most profound and memorable quotes.
- If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend. Martin Luther King Jr.
- I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Martin Luther King Jr.
- I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. Martin Luther King Jr.
- If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The time is always right to do what is right. Martin Luther King Jr.
- It is incontestable and deplorable that Negroes have committed crimes; but they are derivative crimes. They are born of the greater crimes of white society. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself. Martin Luther King Jr.
- All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty we are free at last. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. Indeed, it is a weapon unique in history, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. Martin Luther King Jr.
- He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King Jr.
- I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Martin Luther King Jr.
- It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it. Martin Luther King Jr.
- In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’ Martin Luther King Jr.
- Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase. Martin Luther King Jr.
- If physical death is the price that I must pay to free my white brothers and sisters from a permanent death of the spirit, then nothing can be more redemptive. Martin Luther King Jr.
- I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better. Martin Luther King Jr.
- History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King Jr.
- A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus. Martin Luther King Jr.
- When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative. Martin Luther King Jr.
- There is nothing more tragic than to find an individual bogged down in the length of life, devoid of breath. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. Martin Luther King Jr.
- It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that’s pretty important. Martin Luther King Jr.
- We must build dikes of courage to hold back the flood of fear. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: ‘If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?’ But… the good Samaritan reversed the question: ‘If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him? Martin Luther King Jr.
- If I wish to compose or write or pray or perch well, I must be angry. Then all the blood in my veins is stirred, and my understanding is sharpened. Martin Luther King Jr.
- A right delayed is a right denied. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The Negro needs the white man to free him from his fears. The white man needs the Negro to free him from his guilt. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Martin Luther King Jr.
- I am not interested in power for power’s sake, but I’m interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. Martin Luther King Jr.
- An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. Martin Luther King Jr.
- A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan. Martin Luther King Jr.
- I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together. Martin Luther King Jr.
- I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Any religion that professes to be concerned about the souls of men and is not concerned about the slums that damn them, the economic conditions that strangle them and the social conditions that cripple them is a spiritually moribund religion awaiting burial. Martin Luther King Jr.
- A riot is the language of the unheard. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict. Martin Luther King Jr.
You may also like:
On Empowerment and Vision | 10 Paintings for International Women’s Day
103 Mahatma Gandhi Quotes about Nonviolence, Truth and Love
Forever Grateful | Teachers’ Day Quotes