65+ Bob Dylan Quotes that Are Anything But Blowin’ in the Wind
His raw, husky voice with a trace of nasal timbre is unmistakable. Acknowledged by many musicians and music critics for his unorthodox, yet sophisticated lyrical expression, he is one of the greatest songwriters and troubadours in the history of music, a fact that is reflected in these Bob Dylan quotes.
Bob Dylan is an American folksinger, songwriter and author. Born Robert Allen Zimmerman in 1941, in Minnesota, he developed an interest in music from a young age. Influenced from early rock stars, he formed several bands and started performing at cafes and clubs, before signing a contract with Columbia Records and skyrocketing to stardom.
Attuned to the growing civil rights and anti-war movement, Dylan incorporated the socio-political concerns of his generation into his lyrics and produced a groundbreaking music style that was appealing to the American youth. With his songs, like “Blowin’ in the Wind” and “The Times They are a-Changin” becoming protest anthems, Dylan became the voice of his generation.
For his contribution to music, Dylan received numerous awards and accolades, including a Pulitzer Prize, the 2018 Nobel Prize in Literature and also the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama.
Bob Dylan’s impact on American popular music was profound. He managed to blend traditional folk music with literature and poetry in a uniquely coherent manner, producing unconventional lyrical compositions that defied orthodox musical stereotypes and marked the beginning of a new era for American song tradition.
Here we have collected for you the most inspirational quotes of this free-spirited, iconic music legend. Share them with loved ones in order to motivate them! Use them as a caption to add sophistication to your Instagram and social media posts! Reflect upon them and transcend your view to a wider perspective of life!
Best Quotes by Bob Dylan that will make you Think Deeper about Reality
This is a collection of the most influential quotes of Dylan that reflect his opinions on society and human interaction.
- All I can be is me – whoever that is. Bob Dylan
- Money doesn’t talk, it swears. Bob Dylan
- If ever asked to look at yourself, don’t. Bob Dylan
- Don’t criticize what you can’t understand. Bob Dylan
- I didn’t come out of a cereal box. Bob Dylan
- Don’t follow leaders. Bob Dylan
- And I’ll stand on the ocean until I start sinking. Bob Dylan
- The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense. Bob Dylan
- Don’t ask me nothing about nothing, I just might tell you the truth. Bob Dylan
- Don’t get up gentlemen. I’m only passing through! Bob Dylan
- The only thing I knew how to do was to keep on keeping on. Bob Dylan
- Beauty walks a razors edge, someday I’ll make it mine. Bob Dylan
- I failed to communicate, that’s why I chose to leave. Bob Dylan
- May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung. Bob Dylan
- A poem is a naked person… Some people say that I am a poet. Bob Dylan
- There’s no liquor in the land that can stop your brain from bleeding. Bob Dylan
- Couldn’t help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land where justice is a game. Bob Dylan
- Mona Lisa must have had the highway blues; you can tell by the way she smiles. Bob Dylan
- I don’t call myself a poet, because I don’t like the word. I’m a trapeze artist. Bob Dylan
- Whatever colors you have in your mind, I’ll show them to you and you’ll see them shine. Bob Dylan
- This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway. Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan Quotes about Love and Romance
Here are some quotes about pure emotion and passionate feelings to share with your loved ones.
- I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours. Bob Dylan
- I gave her my heart but she wanted my soul… Bob Dylan
- You can never be wise and be in love at the same time. Bob Dylan
- Passion rules the arrow that flies. Bob Dylan
- Your heart is like the ocean, mysterious and dark. Bob Dylan
- It was gravity which pulled us down and destiny which broke us apart. Bob Dylan
- Why wait any longer for the one you love
When he’s standing in front of you. Bob Dylan
- You don’t have to be afraid of looking into my face. We’ve done nothing to each other that time will not erase. Bob Dylan
- The future for me is already a thing of the past
You were my first love and you will be my last. Bob Dylan
- You’ve got a lotta nerve to say you are my friend. When I was down you just stood there a grinin. Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan Quotes About the Meaning of Life
Don’t miss out Dylan’s bright comments on life and living in the modern world.
- It frightens me, the awful truth, of how sweet life can be… Bob Dylan
- The longer you live, the better you get. Bob Dylan
- Life is more or less a lie, but then again, that’s exactly the way we want it to be. Bob Dylan
- To live outside the law you must be honest. Bob Dylan
- If you want to keep your memories, you first have to live them. Bob Dylan
- It’s a wicked life, but what the hell, the stars ain’t falling down. Bob Dylan
- Yesterday’s just a memory, tomorrow is never what it’s supposed to be. Bob Dylan
- Act the way you’d like to be and soon you’ll be the way you’d like to act. Bob Dylan
- People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. Bob Dylan
- I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom. Bob Dylan
- A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. Bob Dylan
- New York was a city where you could be frozen to death in the midst of a busy street and nobody would notice. Bob Dylan
- The truth was obscure,
Too profound and too pure,
To live it you had to explode. Bob Dylan
Inspirational Bob Dylan Quotes to Elevate your Self-awareness
These quotes reflect open mindedness, unbiased thinking and provocative expression so familiar with Dylan. They will surely inspire and stimulate you!
- All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie. Bob Dylan
- Behind every beautiful thing, there’s some kind of pain. Bob Dylan
- I accept chaos, I’m not sure whether it accepts me. Bob Dylan
- Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet. Bob Dylan
- When you’ve got nothing, you’ve got nothing to lose. Bob Dylan
- No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky. Bob Dylan
- You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. Bob Dylan
- When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. Bob Dylan
- You need something to open up a new door, to show you something you seen before but overlooked a hundred times or more. Bob Dylan
- Sometimes it’s not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don’t mean. Bob Dylan
- I define nothing. Not beauty, not patriotism. I take each thing as it is, without prior rules about what it should be. Bob Dylan
- Whatever you do. You ought to be the best at it – highly skilled. It’s about confidence, not arrogance. Bob Dylan
- If you try to be anyone but yourself, you will fail; if you are not true to your own heart, you will fail. Then again, there’s no success like failure. Bob Dylan
Famous Bob Dylan Poetry Quotes From his Lyrics and Songs
Through his songs Dylan became the voice of his generation – and more: you’ll find out in these remarkable quotes the timeless value of his poetry.
- The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind
The answer is blowin’ in the wind. Bob Dylan
- Every pleasure’s got an edge of pain, pay your ticket and don’t complain. Bob Dylan
- I’ve forgotten more than you’ll ever know. Bob Dylan
- How does it feel, how does it feel to be without a home, like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone. Bob Dylan
- People disagreeing everywhere you look makes you wanna stop and read a book. Bob Dylan
- When you asked me how I was doing, was that some kind of joke. Bob Dylan
- Gonna change my way of thinking,
make myself a different set of rules.
Gonna put my good foot forward
and stop being influenced by fools. Bob Dylan
- Democracy don’t rule the world,
You’d better get that in your head;
This world is ruled by violence,
But I guess that’s better left unsaid. Bob Dylan
- They say that patriotism is the last refuge
To which a scoundrel clings
Steal a little and they throw you in jail
Steal a lot and they make you king. Bob Dylan
- There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke. But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate, so let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late. Bob Dylan
If you like it, pin it!