160 Inspirational Quotes For Men by Famous Personalities and Historical Figures
The definition of a man and masculinity is rather elusive. In every culture there are certain preconceptions about the attributes and virtues that a male ought to possess. These stereotypes, embedded in each culture and reinforced by tradition, role models and media, portray a macho type of man, rugged, dominant and powerful that nothing can touch him. A tough man who suppresses his emotions because expressing them is considered a weakness. Surely, traditional masculine virtues such as honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and honor are timeless and highly valued qualities for all sexes in every culture, but being a man is an attitude, an outlook on life. These inspirational quotes for men will take you to a trip around that hard-to-define identity.
This toxic stereotype of a dominant, hypersexual and oozing virile masculinity male is impossible to attain and harmful because it limits a man’s capacity to develop and make his own choices about life. After all, each man is unique, with his own personality and traits, so it is absurd to expect him to fit in this one-size-for-all box. A man needs to express his emotions and feelings openly and be free to embrace his own identity.
Being a man nowadays is about character and having the courage and determination to push through life’s obstacles, to embrace the problems and difficulties and turn them into opportunities for growth. It is about being the architect of your future and the catalyst for the change you want to see in life!
Here we have curated for you the most inspiring quotes for men, to share with friends and loved ones in order to boost their confidence. Use them as uplifting captions for your Instagram and social media posts! Bookmark them or save on your phone as your daily life mantra! Reflect upon them to reframe your thoughts and perspective of life for the better!
Table of Contents
- Short Inspirational Quotes for Men
- Inspirational Quotes for Men from Great Leaders and Thinkers
- Positive and Uplifting Inspirational Quotes For Men At Work
- Inspirational Quotes About Being A Good Man
- Inspirational Quotes For Young Men
- Inspiring Life Quotes for Men
- Famous Quotes For Men
Short Inspirational Quotes for Men
A list of uplifting quotes that will help you appreciate your uniqueness and empower you with positive energy to transcend your limitations!
- A great man is hard on himself; a small man is hard on others.
- Man is what he believes.
- To have become a deeper man is the privilege of those who have suffered.
- A wise man becomes free when he is ready to die at any moment.
- A sense of humour is the only divine quality of man.
- Man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed, but not defeated.
- Try not to become a man of success, but rather become a man of value.
- Man is a genius when he is dreaming.
- A person can achieve everything by being simple and humble.
- Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.
- What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality.
- The greater the success, the more it was due to one thing: focus.
- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
- The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.
- Happiness is not the absence of problems, it’s the ability to deal with them.
- Don’t hide your scars, they make you who you are.
- If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?
- You will earn the respect of all men if you begin by earning the respect of yourself.
- What you aim at determines what you see.
- The wiser you get, the less you care to look like a fool.
- A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. Confucius
- A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live. Lao Tzu
- You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one. James Froude
- The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly. Friedrich Nietzsche
- You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it himself. Galileo Galilei
- All human wisdom is contained in these two words, ‘Wait and Hope’. Alexandre Dumas
- Don’t talk about plans. Only show results. Ed Latimore
- He who indulges in empty fears earns himself real fears. Seneca
- Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. Oscar Wilde
- I believe the first test of a truly great man is in his humility. John Ruskin
- I walk slowly, but never backward. Abraham Lincoln
- A man is responsible for his ignorance. Milan Kundera
- Always do what you are afraid to do. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Believers are in groups. Seekers are alone. Sadhguru
- It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden
- He that can have patience can have what he will. Benjamin Franklin
- To love and win is the best thing.
To love and lose, the next best.
William Makepeace Thackeray
Inspirational Quotes for Men from Great Leaders and Thinkers
We have compiled a library of thoughtful quotes by great leaders and thinkers that will shed light on your path and help you become the best version of yourself!
- It is in your hands, to make a better world for all who live in it. Nelson Mandela
- One man with courage makes a majority. Andrew Jackson
- Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days. Zig Ziglar
- The first question a leader should ask is: “How can I make those around me more successful?” John C. Maxwell
- The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection. Thomas Paine
- Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength. Theodore Roosevelt
- Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength. Napoleon Bonaparte
- Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power. Abraham Lincoln
- One secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes. Benjamin Disraeli
- We need men who can dream of things that never were. John F. Kennedy
- The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. Samuel Johnson
- Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them. Henry Ford
- Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
- Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions. Dalai Lama XIV
- Be steady and well-ordered in your life so that you can be fierce and original in your work. Gustave Flaubert
- In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. Martin Luther King Jr
- The price tag of leadership is self-discipline. John C. Maxwell
- Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas A. Edison
Positive and Uplifting Inspirational Quotes For Men At Work
Every man has ambitions and wants to be successful in life, but he should be vigilant and not allow to be seduced or consumed by success.
- The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way. Dale Carnegie
- Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones. Theodore Roosevelt
- Progress is made in solitude; profit is made in public. Sven Schnieders
- We just keep swimming and let the tide take care of itself. Warren Buffett
- I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time. Herbert Bayard Swope
- Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. Mark Twain
- A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him. David Brinkley
- All successes begin with self-discipline. It starts with you. Dwayne Johnson
- Don’t work more. Focus more. Nathan Gotch
- As a general rule, it pays to be confident, helpful and nice. Colin Wright
- If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way. Napoleon Hill
- Believe you can and you’re halfway there. Theodore Roosevelt
- Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. John Wooden
- Character is built out of circumstances. From exactly the same materials one man builds palaces, while another builds hovels. George H. Lewes
- Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t. Rikki Rogers
- Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars. Norman Vincent Peale
- Outmaneuver your old self. Jack Butcher
- Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. Arthur Schopenhauer
- Be nice to people on your way up, because you’ll meet them on your way down. Jimmy Durante
Inspirational Quotes About Being A Good Man
A collection of insightful quotes that allow self-reflection and provide a deep understanding of what makes a good man.
- Live your life in such a way that you neither hide nor have a wish to display your life to people. Leo Tolstoy
- When you find peace within yourself, you also find peace without. Naga Devi
- Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one. Marcus Aurelius
- You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi
- A man who has committed a mistake and doesn’t correct it is committing another mistake. Confucius
- Riches have shut off many a man from the attainment of wisdom. Seneca
- It is the task of a good man to help those in misfortune. Sophocles
- No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child. Unknown
- A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. Confucius
- Make peace with the present moment. Eckhart Tolle
- He who stops being better stops being good. Oliver Cromwell
- Good men are not those who now and then do a good act, but men who join one good act to another. Henry Ward Beecher
- If you perform the sacrifice of doing your duty, you do not have to do anything else. Devoted to duty, man attains perfection. Bhagavad Gita
- Nice guys may appear to finish last, but usually they are running a different race. Ken Blanchard
- Those who apply themselves too closely to little things often become incapable of great things. François de La Rochefoucauld
- One can know a man from his laugh, and if you like a man’s laugh before you know anything of him, you may confidently say that he is a good man. Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. George Washington
- A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker. Gautama Buddha
- A great man does not seek applause or place; he seeks for truth; he seeks the road to happiness, and what he ascertains, he gives to others. Robert Green Ingersoll
- It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it. Dale Carnegie
- Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake. Victor Hugo
- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though ’twere his own. Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia
Inspirational Quotes For Young Men
Today, more than ever before, we live in a world where anxiety and depression proliferate. The following thought provoking quotes provide guidance and a fresh outlook on life, especially valuable for young men.
- If one advances confidently in the direction of one’s dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. Henry David Thoreau
- Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them. Marcus Aurelius
- We accept the love we think we deserve. Stephen Chbosky
- Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. Kurt Cobain
- The crucial thing is to find a truth which is truth for me, to find the idea for which I am willing to live and die. Søren Kierkegaard
- To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe. Anatole France
- Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein
- At 30 a man should know himself like the palm of his hand, know the exact number of his defects and qualities, know how far he can go, foretell his failures – be what he is. And, above all, accept these things. Albert Camus
- You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength. Marcus Aurelius
- I figured something out. The future is unpredictable. John Green
- Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. Robert Louis Stevenson
- Always remember: Silence and smile are two very powerful tools. Smile is the way to solve many problems. Silence is the way to avoid many problems. Paulo Coelho
- You can’t live your life for other people. You’ve got to do what’s right for you, even if it hurts some people you love. Nicholas Sparks
- Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it’s about having a lot of options. Chris Rock
- Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions. Albert Einstein
- The most important thing for a young man is to establish a creditable reputation, character. John Rockefeller
- The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself. Michel de Montaigne
- Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live. Gustave Flaubert
- You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes. A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
- Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being. Albert Schweitzer
Inspiring Life Quotes for Men
Being a man is a way of looking at the things in life and trying to give a meaning into everything, because man is the source of value and the measure of all things!
- There was another life that I might have had, but I am having this one. Kazuo Ishiguro
- If you want to save the world, save your little corner of the world. Naval Ravikant
- A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life. Charles Darwin
- He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has. Epictetus
- A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds. Francis Bacon
- A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means. Sallust
- All fortune belongs to him who has a contented mind. The Panchatantra
- If you want to overcome the whole world, overcome yourself. Fyodor Dostoevsky
- If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself. Rick Riordan
- The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too. Vincent van Gogh
- Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. George Bernard Shaw
- None but ourselves can free our minds. Bob Marley
- The stronger a man is, the more gentle he can afford to be. Elbert Hubbard
- Never diminish someone’s dream, no matter how absurd it seems. Thibaut
- I live my life in widening circles that reach out across the world. Rainer Maria Rilke
- Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny. Steve Maraboli
- A man needs self-acceptance or he can’t live with himself; he needs self-criticism or others can’t live with him. James Pike
- The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.. John Milton
- “It takes a great man to give sound advice tactfully, but a greater man to accept it graciously. Logan Pearsall Smith
- The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward. Steve Maraboli
Famous Quotes For Men
These succinct nuggets of wisdom by famous personalities and prominent figures capture the essence of what it means to be a man and how to give meaning to life!
- I have believed the best of every man. And find that to believe is enough to make a bad man show him at his best, or even a good man swings his lantern higher. William Butler Yeats
- Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth. Chuck Norris
- There is nothing noble being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. Ernest Hemingway
- A great man is always willing to be little. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- May you live every day of your life. Jonathan Swift
- It’s kind of fun to do the impossible. Walt Disney
- The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively. Bob Marley
- Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
- I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain
- Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. Voltaire
- You’ll never find a rainbow if you’re looking down. Charlie Chaplin
- Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you. Walt Whitman
- Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not. Pablo Picasso
- Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender. Tupac Shakur
- Everybody is special. Everybody. Everybody is a hero, a lover, a fool, a villain. Everybody. Everybody has their story to tell. Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free. Rumi
- When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love … Marcus Aurelius
- There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming. Søren Kierkegaard
- However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? Buddha
The toxic stereotype of an insensitive and dominant male, who uses aggression to prove his manliness, is obsolete and not relevant in today’s society. Being a man means to express yourself freely and celebrate life. It is about character and self-discipline forged in the fire of life’s challenges. It is about not being seduced by things of a fleeting nature but to be driven by timeless, solid values and a vision of a meaningful life. You are a male by birth but you become a man by choice!
If you like it, pin it!
You May Also Like:
115 Quotes About Being Lonely and How to Cope With it
100 Determination Quotes About the Confidence It Takes to Take the Next Step
82 Balance Quotes About the Pursuit of an Equilibrium