50 John Wayne Quotes About the Hero Within
John Wayne, aka “The Duke”, was born Marion Robert Morrison, in 1907, in Winterset, Iowa. He started his career by playing in numerous movies before his breakout role in the film “Stagecoach” that established him as a mainstream star. He was voted as one of the greatest male actors of classic American cinema by the American Film Institute and also won an Oscar nomination for his part in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”. He appeared in a total of 179 film and television productions and was one of Hollywood’s greatest actors. John Wayne passed away in 1979.
In recognition of his achievements Wayne was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Naval Heritage Award by the US Navy Memorial Foundation. He has been memorialized by various public locations, including the John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California and numerous museums throughout the country.
John Wayne was the iconic American personifying the nation’s frontier heritage and embodying virile masculinity. With his commanding physical presence and rugged built, “The Duke” served as a role model for adults and children, revered and hugely admired for being a man’s man. He was instrumental in creating a national hero who reflected the American values and ideals of his era. Although this macho stereotype of toxic masculinity is not conformable to the ambient level of today’s culture, the positive values of self-confidence and determination, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and heroic attitude are timeless qualities that are valued highly in every society.
Here you will find the most inspirational quotes of this legend to share with loved ones in order to motivate them but also for you to reflect upon, evolve your thinking and transform your perspective for a better life!
Short John Wayne Cowboy Quotes to Always Have on your Mind
These short quotes are reminders of the code of conduct and male role model that was prominent in American Society a few decades ago – but a lot of them are of timeless value.
- I’m the stuff men are made of. John Wayne
- Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
- A goal, a love and a dream give you total control over your body and your life. John Wayne
- All I’m for is the liberty of the individual. John Wayne
- A man’s got to do what a man’s got to do. John Wayne
- Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
- A man’s got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. John Wayne
- Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much. John Wayne
- Words are what men live by… words they say and mean. John Wayne
- All battles are fought by scared men who’d rather be some place else. John Wayne
- You have to be a man before you can be a gentleman. John Wayne
- We’re burnin’ daylight. John Wayne
- I’m responsible only for what I say, not what you understand. John Wayne
- A man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him. John Wayne
- When you stop fighting, that’s death. John Wayne
- It’s getting to be ri-goddamn-diculous. John Wayne
- Courage is being completely paralyzed with fear and taking the first step anyway. John Wayne
- COWBOYS, just like the word says. John Wayne
- Life it tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid. John Wayne
- A man oughta do what he thinks is best. John Wayne
- Never apologize, mister, it’s a sign of weakness. John Wayne
- You’re short on ears and long on mouth. John Wayne
- Seen better fights than this at a prayer meeting. John Wayne
- Fear is just one of the many words I don’t know the meaning of. John Wayne
- About the worst thing an honest man can do is make an honest mistake. John Wayne
- Are you going to believe what you see or what I tell you? John Wayne
- Just one more question, Pilgrim. How far up your ass do you want my boot? John Wayne
John Wayne Quotes on Life, Values and Relationships to Guide You in Life
Enjoy these inspirational quotes about Morals, Ethics and the importance of manhood in the time of John Wayne as they are reflected in his words.
- I won’t be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a-hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne
- I define manhood simply: men should be tough, fair, and courageous, never petty, never looking for a fight, but never backing down from one either. John Wayne
- I suppose my best attribute, if you want to call it that, is sincerity. I can sell sincerity because that’s the way I am. John Wayne
- I would like to be remembered, well … the Mexicans have a phrase, “Feo, fuerte y formal”. Which means he was ugly, strong and had dignity. John Wayne
- I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please. John Wayne
- I’ve always followed my father’s advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. John Wayne
- If you’ve got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. John Wayne
- Thanking people is dangerous business. A name always slips your mind. John Wayne
- I am a demonstrative man, a baby picker-upper, a hugger and a kisser–that’s my nature. John Wayne
- When you come against trouble, it’s never half as bad if you face up to it. John Wayne
- I’ve always had deep faith that there is a Supreme Being, there has to be. John Wayne
- I’ve had three wives, six children and six grandchildren and I still don’t understand women. John Wayne
- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
- What’s the secret of success? Right decisions. How do you make right decisions? Experience. How do you get experience? Wrong decisions. John Wayne
- The worst part of it has been, I think, the adverse effect on family life. It kills off family conversation. And it’s harder to get your children to read books. I became a confirmed reader when I was growing up in Glendale. I’ve loved reading all my life. Now I’ve got this daughter, Aissa, a very bright young lady — but it is a hard job to get her to read. Television’s just too easy. John Wayne
John Wayne Quotes about America and the American Flag to inspire Patriotic Spirit
Read these quotes by the famous actor that reflect his beliefs about America and his way of thinking to inspire you with Love and Pride for your Country.
- Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I’m not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be. John Wayne
- Give the American people a good cause, and there’s nothing they can’t lick. John Wayne
- My hope and prayer is that everyone know and love our country for what she really is and what she stands for. John Wayne
- I do think we have a pretty wonderful country, and I thank God that He chose me to live here. John Wayne
- Government has no wealth, and when a politician promises to give you something for nothing, he must first confiscate that wealth from you – either by direct taxes, or by the cruelly indirect tax of inflation. John Wayne
If you like it, Pin it!
You May Also Like:
51 Elvis Presley Quotes About the Essence of Life and Rock ‘n’ Roll
60+ Fight Club Quotes That Challenged Our Modern Lifestyle
80 Woody Allen Quotes About Missing Your Own Funeral and Other Life Stories