70 Shocking Suicide Quotes for Immediate Support
Life can be all too demanding at times and when things do not play out as expected we get depressed and allow toxic thinking to influence us. When this happens, everything seems like tumbling down all around and a heaviness clouding your head. You feel tired, so why keep on trying if nothing makes you happy? You feel shame and guilt and hate yourself for all this mess. Asking for help is the last thing you want to do. All you want is to be alone, cocooned in your comfort zone where no one asks any questions. Slowly, you become trapped in a dark, downward spiral. Your mind is screaming and you want to stop the voices. You are at your tipping point and feel that life is not worth living anymore but this is only the pain that has skewed your perception, not allowing you to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We know it hurts, but things can change! Here we have curated for you the most profound quotes about suicide in order to provide insight and inspire prevention.
Do not succumb to the sadness but realize that it’s not about battling your past, but fighting for your future. Suicide is not an answer, it’s only sure defeat. Give it a chance! Make an effort to pick up the pieces and become a new, better you! Some day you will look back and feel proud of yourself!
There are always people willing to reach out and help you, so if you or someone you know is struggling with depression and considering suicide, please seek assistance at the American Psychiatric Association’s site or alternatively, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988 (toll-free) for immediate help. You can also reach the Crisis Text Line by texting “HOME” to 741741 in the U.S. and Canada, or texting “SHOUT” to 85258 in the UK.
In the U.K. you can also call the National Suicide Prevention Helpline UK on 0800 689 5652 or the Samaritans Helpline at 116 123.
Share these quotes with your friends and loved ones in order to comfort them during their darkest hours. Use them as captions to raise awareness and ignite hope to your Instagram posts! Reflect upon them to realize why you should never give up on life!
Table of Contents
- Bitter Suicide Quotes about the Negation of Life
- Revelatory Suicide Quotes on Suicidal Thoughts in Times of Despair
- Wise Quotes on Suicide Prevention to Help and Support
- Unveiling Quotes on the Connection between Suicide and Depression
Bitter Suicide Quotes about the Negation of Life
Suicide is an unimaginable, extreme act that won’t solve any problem; as well said in the following quotes, the suicide just manages to hurt the people who really care for him/her.
- He killed himself for wanting to live. Markus Zusak
- It’s better to burn out than to fade away. Kurt Cobain
- Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Phil Donahue
- The language of love letters is the same as suicide notes. Courtney Love
- By suicide, you can only hurt the people who loves you. Sandesh Hukpachongbang
- There is but one true philosophical problem and that is suicide. Albert Camus
- What else is there to do in college except drink beer or slit one’s wrists? Bret Easton Ellis
- Put a gun to my head and paint the wall with my brains. Chuck Palahniuk
- The man who kills a man kills a man. The man who kills himself kills all men. As far as he is concerned, he wipes out the world. K. Chesterton
- It would have been so pointless to kill himself that, even if he had wanted to, the pointlessness would have made him unable. Franz Kafka
- Life’s greatest gift is the freedom it leaves you to step out of it whenever you choose. André Breton
- I wonder if that’s how darkness wins, by convincing us to trap it inside ourselves, instead of emptying it out. I don’t want it to win. Jasmine Warga
- A man devoid of hope and conscious of being so has ceased to belong to the future. Albert Camus
- If my Valentine you won’t be,
I’ll hang myself on your Christmas tree.
- It was easy enough to kill yourself in a fit of despair. It was easy enough to play the martyr. It was harder to do nothing. To endure your life. To wait. Erica Jong
Revelatory Suicide Quotes on Suicidal Thoughts in Times of Despair
Thinking of ending one’s life is something possible to occur when in hardships of any kind.
- I got a monster within… my own self! John Zea
- I want to commit suicide but am afraid someone will think I am crazy. Carl White
- The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die. Juliette Lewis
- The thought that I might kill myself formed in my mind coolly as a tree or a flower. Sylvia Plath
- Killing yourself slowly is still killing yourself. Wanting to die is not the same as wanting to come home. Recovery is hard work. Not wanting to die is hard work. Blythe Baird
- I’ve given up already in life but something or someone keep pushing me to keep going. Jonathan Anthony Burkett
- To want to kill yourself, however, requires a whole extra level of passion and a certain directed violence. Andrew Solomon
- The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets successfully through many a bad night. Friedrich Nietzsche
- Most of the time, people who die by suicide don’t want to actually die. They just don’t want to be alive, and there is a huge difference. Roxanne Macdonald
- That’s the thing about suicide. Try as you might to remember how a person lived his life, you always end up thinking about how he ended it. Anderson Cooper
- You wake up wondering if you want to move or not, you probably don’t and when someone asks you “are you ok?” you just walk off wanting to die any second but you don’t so the pain just gets worse and worse. Aidden Daneil Sadler
- Smile, I do as I march an inch further towards my funeral. My broken skeleton calls for its tomb beneath Coventry cathedral, where I can hear the tunes of saintly people. Lavinia Valeriana
- If I told you the few things keeping me alive,
Don’t run, don’t laugh, don’t cry.
Just forgive me for being soft in life,
I am one of those things that die.
Karl Kristian Flores
- But first you have to fight, to try other ways. If your life displeases you, my lad, try to change it. Don’t give in to defeat so easily. Death is the only sure defeat. It is the end of everything. Félix J. Palma
Wise Quotes on Suicide Prevention to Help and Support
If there are a thousand reasons for one to end his/her life, there are always a thousand and one not to do so. These quotes will be of great help when support and assistance is needed to guide someone back to the path of self-love.
- You’re bigger than the sea your sinking in. Katie Beth
- A pain shared is a pain halved. Kevin Hines
- Never, never, never give up. Winston Churchill
- Suicide is not an answer, it’s destruction. Al Green
- Do not let bitterness take root, lest she strangle you. Rene Schultz
- If your heart is still beating, God is not done with you yet. Dillion Burroughs
- Sometimes even to live is an act of courage. Seneca
- Your life is not your own. Keep your hands off it. Arthur Conan Doyle
- If you’re going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
- There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t. John Green
- The epic story of tomorrow can’t be written if it ends today. Unknown
- One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks. Jack Penn
- Think of all the beauty that’s still left in and around you and be happy! Anne Frank
- It’s not about battling your past, but fighting for your future. Jazz Thornton
- There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, everyone of them sufficient. Marilynne Robinson
- This life. This night. Your story. Your pain. Your hope. It matters. All of it matters. Jamie Tworkowski
- Suicide is beneath you – avoid past memories and meditate in the present moment. Bert McCoy
- Suicide doesn’t solve your problems. It only makes them infinitely, un-countably worse. Sinead O’Connor
- Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. Helen Keller
- Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’ Maru Anne Radmacher
- When you feel like giving up, just remember the reason why you held on for so long. Hayley Williams
- To write poetry and to commit suicide, apparently so contradictory, had really been the same, attempts at escape. John Fowles
- Nothing in my life has ever made me want to commit suicide more than people’s reaction to my trying to commit suicide. Emilie Autumn
- The real reason for not committing suicide is because you always know how swell life gets again after the hell is over. Ernest Hemingway
- The great thing about suicide is that it’s not one of those things you have to do now or you lose your chance. I mean, you can always do it later. Harvey Fierstein
- Soak up the views. Take in the bad weather and the good weather. You are not the storm. Matt Haig
- You can do things today that shape your unknown future. Make every day the time when you turn what you don’t know into what would like to happen. Michael Nulty
- Suicide is the dumbest possible way of getting revenge. Why is that? Because the people you want to strike back at are the very same folks who won’t even remember you a week after you’re gone, while the people you want to spare most — the people who love you — are the ones who will have to live with the pain of your suicide for the rest of their lives. David J. Lieberman
Unveiling Quotes on the Connection between Suicide and Depression
Depression is a common but serious illness that without proper treatment can lead someone to self-harm.
- My room is so quiet and empty it hurts. Nina LaCour
- A book is a suicide postponed. Cioran
- I went to the worst of bars hoping to get killed but all I could do was to get drunk again. Charles Bukowski
- I’m the girl nobody knows until she commits suicide. Then suddenly everyone had a class with her. Tom Leveen
- How do we forgive ourselves for all the things we did not become? David “Doc” Luben
- The trouble about jumping was that if you didn’t pick the right number of storeys, you might still be alive when you hit bottom. Sylvia Plath
- We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire. George Sand
- Killing myself was a matter of such indifference to me that I felt like waiting for a moment when it would make some difference. Fyodor Dostoevsky
- If they tell you that she died of sleeping pills you must know that she died of a wasting grief, of a slow bleeding at the soul. Clifford Odets
- I went down to the river,
I set down on the bank.
I tried to think but couldn’t,
So I jumped in and sank. Langston Hughes
- Actually, it was only part of myself I wanted to kill: the part that wanted to kill herself, that dragged me into the suicide debate and made every window, kitchen implement, and subway station a rehearsal for tragedy. Susanna Kaysen
Every day you put on your social mask and pretend everything is ok, but deep inside you have lost all hope and seek an answer to ease the pain you feel. Life seems meaningless, so what’s the point of going on? Pause for a moment and put your hand over your heart. Can you feel it beat? That is called purpose. It tells you that you are alive for a reason, so don’t ever give up! Do not succumb to despair but make a small daily effort to become an improved version of yourself, and in the process, a new path full of wonderful opportunities will unfold in front of you. A new you, happier, better and wiser will emerge!
If you like it, pin it!
You may also like: