60 Alice in Wonderland Quotes About Going Down the Rabbit Hole
“Alice in Wonderland” is a famous novel by English author and mathematician, Charles Dodgson, alias Lewis Carroll. The story was told by Caroll to the real Alice and her sisters during a boat trip and only after Alice’s request was the story written down in a book. Here we have collected for you the most inspirational Alice in Wonderland quotes to share with friends and loved ones in order to enlighten them.
Published in 1865, it is one of the best-known works of Victorian literature and the most popular children’s book in the world. It has been translated into 174 languages with numerous adaptations for screen, arts and even video games.
The story is about a young girl named Alice, who falls through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world of wacky and strange creatures. Filled with symbolisms and metaphors, the book explores the theme of growing up and how a child experiences and adapts to the confusing world of adults with its arbitrary and absurd rules. Through its unique narrative and sensory imagery, the book conveys a number of profound messages.
Be inquisitive about life! Curiosity can get you in trouble but may also open the door to magic! Life is full of surprises and unexpected events, so no matter what it may throw at you, you have to adjust and push on, always chasing your dreams no matter how impossible they may seem to others.
Always stand up for yourself and never let anything get you down. Believe in your intuition and never lose your “muchness”, because even when life sometimes doesn’t make sense, it is still a great journey!
Use these quotes as captions to add “depth” to your Instagram and social media posts! Reflect upon them to spark your wanderlust and expand your perspective of the world!
Table of Contents
- The Wackiest and Wisest Alice in Wonderland Quotes
- Inspirational Alice in Wonderland Quotes
- Mad Hatter Quotes
- Cheshire Cat Quotes
- Short Alice in Wonderland Quotes To Use as Captions on Your Instagram Posts
- More Funny Quotes from Alice in Wonderland
The Wackiest and Wisest Alice in Wonderland Quotes
Dark but whimsical, with quirky wordplay and hilarious puns, the story of Alice is filled with deeper meaning. So, let’s go down the rabbit hole and explore the wackiest and wisest quotes from “Alice in Wonderland”!
- “In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.” Lewis Carroll, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- “But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.” Alice
- “Have i gone mad?”
“I’m afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usually are.” Alice and Mad Hatter
- “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn’t be. And what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?” Alice
- “Alice: This is impossible.
The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “Begin at the beginning,” the King said, very gravely, “and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” The King
- “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” Alice
- “How puzzling all these changes are! I’m never sure what I’m going to be, from one minute to another.” Alice
- “Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!”
“Well, now that we have seen each other,” said the unicorn, “if you’ll believe in me, I’ll believe in you.”
Alice and the Unicorn
- “I wish I hadn’t cried so much!” said Alice, as she swam about, trying to find her way out. I shall be punished for it now, I suppose, by being drowned in my own tears !” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “Come back!” the Caterpillar called after her. “I’ve something important to say.”
This sounded promising, certainly. Alice turned and came back again.
“Keep your temper,” said the Caterpillar.”
The Caterpillar and Alice
- “Well! I’ve often seen a cat without a grin,’ thought Alice ‘but a grin without a cat! It’s the most curious thing i ever saw in my life!” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Inspirational Alice in Wonderland Quotes
Wonderland represents a challenge to Alice’s perception of the world, but also hides wisdom and insight. The following vibey and uplifting quotes will change your mood and fill you with optimism and positive energy!
- “How long is forever?
“Sometimes, just one second.”Alice and the White Rabbit
- “I wonder if I’ve been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I’m not the same, the next question is ‘Who in the world am I?’ Ah, that’s the great puzzle!” Alice
- “If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.” The Duchess
- “Tut, tut, child! Everything’s got a moral, if only you can find it.” The Duchess
- “No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday—but never jam to-day.”
“It must come sometimes to ‘jam to-day,’” Alice objected.
“No, it ca’n’t,” said the Queen. “It’s jam every other day: to-day isn’t any other day, you know”
The Queen and Alice
- moana quotes“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.” The Duchess
- “For, you see, so many out-of-the-way things had happened lately, that Alice had begun to think that very few things indeed were really impossible.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “It was much pleasanter at home,” thought poor Alice, “when one wasn’t always growing larger and smaller, and being ordered about by mice and rabbits. I almost wish I hadn’t gone down the rabbit-hole-and yet-and yet–…” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Mad Hatter Quotes
Fashionably dressed, eccentric and neurotic the Mad Hatter has been sentenced by the Queen of Hearts in a perennial tea party as punishment for “killing time”. This seemingly insane character is memorable for his unanswerable, cryptic riddles and maddening quotes!
- “I am under no obligation to make sense to you.” Mad Hatter
- “I don’t think…” then you shouldn’t talk, said the Hatter.” Mad Hatter
- “Mad Hatter: “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”
“Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “What’s the answer?”
“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter”
- “Would you like some wine?”
“We haven’t any and you’re too young.”
The Mad Hatter and Alice’
- “Yes, that’s it! Said the Hatter with a sigh, it’s always tea time.” Mad Hatter
- “You’re not the same as you were before,” he said. You were much more… muchier… you’ve lost your muchness.” Mad Hatter
- “What a funny watch!’ she remarked. ‘It tells the day of the month, and doesn’t tell
what o’clock it is!’
‘Why should it?’ muttered the Hatter. ‘Does YOUR watch tell you what year it is?’
‘Of course not,’ Alice replied very readily: ‘but that’s because it stays the same year for such a long time together.’
‘Which is just the case with MINE,’ said the Hatter.”
Alice and The Mad Hatter
Cheshire Cat Quotes
Devious and mischievous, the pink and purple stripped Cheshire Cat, with its broad grin and ability to appear and disappear at will, acts as a mentor guide for Alice but also enjoys causing her trouble!
- “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.” The Cheshire Cat
- “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.”
“I don’t much care where –”
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go.”
The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland
- “And how do you know that you’re mad? “To begin with,” said the Cat, “a dog’s not mad. You grant that?” I suppose so, said Alice. “Well then,” the Cat went on, “you see a dog growls when it’s angry, and wags it’s tail when it’s pleased. Now I growl when I’m pleased, and wag my tail when I’m angry. Therefore I’m mad.” The Cheshire Cat
- “Only the insane equate pain with success.” Cheshire Cat
- “I’m not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different than yours.” The Cheshire Cat
Short Alice in Wonderland Quotes To Use as Captions on Your Instagram Posts
A collection of short one-liner quotes, some insightful and others profoundly crazy, that will make great captions and pair perfectly with a medley of aesthetics!
- I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see? Alice in Wonderland
- We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad. Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- Curiouser and curiouser. Alice in Wonderland
- Who in the world am I? Ah, that’s the great puzzle. Alice
- Look after the senses and the sounds will look after themselves. Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- Do you suppose she’s a wildflower?Alice in Wonderland
- What a strange world we live in…Said Alice to the Queen of hearts. Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- I don’t see how he can ever finish, if he doesn’t begin. Alice
- It’s a poor sort of memory that only works backwards. The Queen of Hearts
- The hurrier I go, the behinder I get. The White Rabbit
- My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that. The Queen of Hearts
- Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic. Tweedledee, Alice in Wonderland
- No wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise. Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- A dream is not reality, but who’s to say which is which?” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “And what is the use of a book,” thought Alice, “without pictures or conversations? Alice
More Funny Quotes from Alice in Wonderland
Some more funny and wacky quotes from “Alice in Wonderland” to brighten your day and put a smile on your face!
- She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it). Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “Why it’s simply impassible!”
“Why, don’t you mean impossible?”
“No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing’s impossible!”
Alice and the Door
- “For if you drink much from a bottle marked ‘poison,’ it’s almost certain to disagree with one sooner or later.” Alice
- “Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone, “so I can’t take more.”
“You mean you can’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”
“Nobody asked your opinion,” said Alice.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “Either it brings tears to their eyes, or else -“
“Or else what?” said Alice, for the Knight had made a sudden pause.
“Or else it doesn’t, you know.”
The Knight and Alice
- “But it’s no use now,” thought poor Alice, “to pretend to be two people! Why, there’s hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “And how many hours a day did you do lessons?’ said Alice, in a hurry to change the subject.
Ten hours the first day,’ said the Mock Turtle: ‘nine the next, and so on.’
What a curious plan!’ exclaimed Alice.
That’s the reason they’re called lessons,’ the Gryphon remarked: ‘because they lessen from day to day.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
- “But then, shall I never get any older than I am now? That’ll be a comfort, one way — never to be an old woman — but then — always to have lessons to learn!” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
If you like it, Pin it!
You May Also Like: