80 Forgive Yourself Quotes to Help You Avoid Self-Blaming
As hard as it may seem, without self-forgiveness it is impossible to move forward with true well being and productivity. It is surely easier when it comes to forgiving others, however when it is for ourselves we seem to be having great difficulty. These forgive yourself quotes might explain why.
Everyone is entitled to make mistakes as we are only human. We must all let go of feelings and emotions associated with what went wrong, in spite of the anger or resentment we may have. Focusing on feelings and acknowledging a mistake, which is an experience to learn from, is a healthy start. Many renowned individuals from the world over have quite often found themselves dealing with deeply and sincerely forgiving themselves.
They as many others have learned to handle wrong choices and get over them quickly by not permitting their self criticism to hold them back. One must let go and continue to visualize the future. For some seeing themselves as flawed can make them feel vulnerable or frightened which may cause even more difficulty in taking ownership of mistakes. Whichever category you may fall into, what matters is to see that you as everyone else is living life without a manual and mistakes are there to be made just as rules are made to be broken. Read on to find a remarkable selection of quotes by famous celebrities, TV hosts, philosophers, authors and more who have expressed words of wisdom about forgiving one self. You, friends and loved ones will be inspired and touched by the true sense of living life without the burden of guilt. Everyone who tries it, loves it.
Table of Contents
- Inspirational Quotes About Forgiving Yourself
- Short Forgive Yourself Quotes to Be Used as Captions
- Deep Self-Forgiveness Quotes
- How To Forgive Yourself Quotes
- More Quotes About Forgiving Yourself for Past Mistakes
Inspirational Quotes About Forgiving Yourself
- True forgiveness is a self-healing process which starts with you and gradually extends to everyone else.
- The simple truth is, we all make mistakes, and we all need forgiveness.
- Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes.
- Not one tiny slice of that guilt will do anything to change a single thing in the past.
- You need to learn to accept your flaws and forgive yourself.
- The more you know yourself, the more you forgive yourself.
- The more you rejoice in your own forgiveness, the quicker you will be to forgive others.
- To heal, we must first forgive… and sometimes the person we must forgive is ourselves.
- Forgive yourself and be ready to forgive yourself in the future. You’re gonna screw up. It’s okay.
David D. Burns
- You forgive yourself for every failure because you are trying to do the right thing. God knows that and you know it. Nobody else may know it.
- Never forget that to forgive yourself is to release trapped energy that could be doing good work in the world.
D. Patrick Miller
- It is important that we forgive ourselves for making mistakes. We need to learn from our errors and move on.
- Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness.
- Forgive others, forgive yourself, forgive yourself for not being perfect, and accept responsibility for your own life.
- If you haven’t forgiven yourself something, how can you forgive others?
- There are only 2 two ways to have a peaceful conscience: Never do anything wrong or learn self-forgiveness (Pro tip: first way’s impossible).
- Love yourself, accept yourself, forgive yourself and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.
Leo F. Buscaglia
- Everyone makes mistakes. The wise are not people who never make mistakes, but those who forgive themselves and learn from their mistakes.
- The burden of regret can weigh us down heavily on our spiritual journey. The best way to release regret is to forgive ourselves.
James Van Praagh
- Forgive yourself for the decisions you have made, the ones you still call mistakes when you tuck them in at night.
- Forgiving is giving up the hope that it couldn’t have been any other way than it actually was.
- To forgive is to set a prisoner free and realize that prisoner was you.
Lewis B. Smedes
- When we give ourselves self-compassion, we are opening our hearts in a way that can transform our lives.
- Guilt is the worst enemy of true happiness and self esteem. It is indeed the worst thing you can ever do to your soul.
Pamela Baron Waldbauer
- The past doesn’t determine your future unless you carry it with you into the present. Forgiving yourself and others, you free the universe to begin again at any moment.
- You can sit there forever, lamenting about how bad you’ve been, feeling guilty until you die, and not one tiny slice of that guilt will do anything to change a single thing in the past. Forgive yourself, then MOVE ON!
- The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.
- Holding a grudge doesn’t make you strong; it makes you bitter. Forgiving doesn’t make you weak; it sets you free.
Short Forgive Yourself Quotes to Be Used as Captions
- If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.
- Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on.
- The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself.
- Do as the heavens have done, forget your evil; With them forgive yourself.
- Forgive yourself, but don’t forget.
- Self-forgiveness is essential to self-healing.
Ruth Carter Stapleton
- Forgiveness is man’s deepest need and highest achievement.
- Forgive yourself and welcome love back into your life.
Wayne W. Dyer
- Forgiveness is a choice, but it is not an option.
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
- Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.
Martin Luther King Jr.
- It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
- When a deep injury is done to us, we never heal until we forgive.
- The forgiving state of mind is a magnetic power for attracting good.
- There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.
Bryant H. Mcgill
- Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
Bible, Luke 6:37
- Follow your inner moonlight; don’t hide the madness.
- Lack of forgiveness causes almost all of our self-sabotaging behavior.
Mark Victor Hansen
- If you can’t forgive yourself, how can you expect me to?
E. C. Myers
Deep Self-Forgiveness Quotes
- Forgiveness is for yourself because it frees you. It lets you out of that prison you put yourself in.
- Forgiveness is really a gift to yourself – have the compassion to forgive others, and the courage to forgive yourself.
Mary Anne Radmacher
- There is some good in the worst of us, and some evil in the best of us.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
- There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution.
- The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don’t have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.
- Without forgiveness life is governed by… an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.
- You cannot travel back in time to fix your mistakes, but you can learn from them and forgive yourself for not knowing better.
- Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.
- Embrace and love all of yourself – past, present, and future. Forgive yourself quickly and as often as necessary. Encourage yourself. Tell yourself good things about yourself.
- Just as white light consists of colored rays, so reverence for life contains all the components of ethics: love, kindliness, sympathy, empathy, peacefulness, and power to forgive.
- I don’t know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes – it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, ‘Well, if I’d known better I’d have done better,’ that’s all.
- The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change so that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger but wisdom, understanding, and love.
How To Forgive Yourself Quotes
- Forgive yourself first. Release the need to replay a negative situation over and over again in your mind. Don’t become a hostage to your past by always reviewing and reliving your mistakes. Don’t remind yourself of what should have, could have or would have been. Release it and let it go. Move on.
- If we all hold on to the mistake, we can’t see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can’t see what we’re capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one’s own self.
- Silently repeat to yourself: I forgive myself for any ways in which I knowingly or unknowingly caused hurt or harm to any living being or creature. I forgive all who have ever hurt or harmed me. Everything between us is now cleared up.
- Bring it up, make amends, forgive yourself. It sounds simple, but don’t think for a second that it is easy. Getting free from the tyranny of past mistakes can be hard work, but definitely worth the effort. And the payoff is health, wholeness and inner peace. In other words, you get your life back.
- Forgive yourself for what you think you’ve done or not done. At every moment, you had your reasons for all of your actions and decisions. You’ve always done the best that you could do. Forgive yourself.
- Turn down the volume of your negative inner voice and create a nurturing inner voice to take it’s place. When you make a mistake, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on instead of obsessing about it. Equally important, don’t allow anyone else to dwell on your mistakes or shortcomings or to expect perfection from you.
- It’s toughest to forgive ourselves. So it’s probably best to start with other people. It’s almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself.
More Quotes About Forgiving Yourself for Past Mistakes
- You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you.
Bible, Psalm 86:5
- Dwelling on past bad decisions you’ve made only allows those decisions to keep defining you. Forgive yourself and move on.
- Having asked God for forgiveness, accept release, then truly forgive yourself and turn your back definitely on the matter.
Norman Vincent Peale
- Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.
- To forgive is indeed the best form of self-interest since anger, resentment, and revenge are corrosive of that ‘summum bonum,’ the greatest good.
- Forgive yourself. The supreme act of forgiveness is when you can forgive yourself for all the wounds you’ve created in your own life. Forgiveness is an act of self-love. When you forgive yourself, self-acceptance begins and self-love grows.
Miguel Angel Ruiz
- Once you forgive yourself, the self-rejection in your mind is over. Self-acceptance begins, and the self-love will grow so strong that you will finally accept yourself just the way you are. That’s the beginning of the free human. Forgiveness is the key.
Miguel Angel Ruiz
- The only true way to create a more loving, productive, and fulfilling life is by forgiving the past.
- Healing comes from forgiving ourselves and forgiving others, holding nothing against other people, feeling no guilt or resentment about our own life.
- The only thing I can talk about is just forgiving yourself, because I do not have everything together. And so I tell people: No, you should see my house, it’s a mess.
- Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future. Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future.
Lewis B. Smedes
- Forgiveness takes the burden of hate, guilt, and bitterness off your back and, with a lighter load, you can climb higher and faster, and be much happier in the process.
- Don’t be so damn hard on yourself. Yeah, you screwed up. You’re not perfect, fine. Learn from it. But don’t punish yourself. Be kind to you, even when you screw up. You’ll bounce back eventually. You’ll make up for it.
- And so, onwards… along a path of wisdom, with a hearty tread, a hearty confidence.. however you may be, be your own source of experience. Throw off your discontent about your nature. Forgive yourself – your own self. You have it in your power to merge everything you have lived through- false starts, errors, delusions, passions, your loves and your hopes- into your goal, with nothing left over.
If you like it, pin it!
You May Also Like: