70+ Joseph Pilates Quotes About the Pilates Method and Your Body’s Potential
How can a sickly boy, suffering from asthma, rickets and rheumatic fever, transform himself into an accomplished gymnast, a wrestler and a boxer? Sounds unbelievable, but this is the true and fascinating story of a gifted man who influenced the lives of millions.
Born in 1883, in Mönchengladbach, Germany, Joseph “Joe” Pilates was a gymnast, a bodybuilder and the inventor of the Pilates physical training method. As a child he suffered from poor health, but his gymnast father introduced him to gymnastics, body-building, wrestling and boxing, and by his late teens young Joseph had developed a remarkable physique. Later on, he got also involved with diving, skiing, yoga and meditation techniques.
At the age of 29, Pilates moved to England, where he worked as a circus-performer, a professional boxer and a self-defense instructor. After WWI he returned to Germany, but soon after he emigrated to the U.S., where together with his wife Clara, they opened their first Pilates studio in New York, which became very popular and soon grew into a worldwide phenomenon. Pilates died in 1967 of emphysema at the age of 83.
A true pioneer and an inventor, since he designed all of his equipment himself, Pilates devised a comprehensive method of physical training that revolutionized the world of fitness. Originally named “Contrology”, to reflect the control of the mind over the body, the Pilates method places emphasis on the co-ordination of breathing along with the execution of machine assisted, extension exercises that increase flexibility, develop muscle strength and improve posture. Joseph Pilates was years ahead of his time and left a lasting legacy behind. Much more than just a system of physical fitness, he developed a transformative process that promotes physical and psychological well-being.
As a tribute to this great man, here we have collected for you the most inspirational quotes about Pilates and your body’s potential. Share them with loved ones and friends to enlighten them! Reflect upon them to transform your perspective and enjoy the beauty of life’s endless possibilities!
Table of Contents
- Short Pilates Quotes For Instagram and Your Instant Inspiration
- Best Joseph Pilates Quotes To Help You Unlock Your Body’s Potential
- Inspirational Joseph Pilates Quotes on Fitness and Ageing
- Joseph Pilates Quotes About His Method
- Joseph Pilates Quotes About Mental and Physical Health
- Quotes About The Pilates Method By Famous Personalities
Short Pilates Quotes For Instagram and Your Instant Inspiration
A collection of short, one liner quotes that will fuel you with positive energy. You can bookmark them on your phone as your daily dose of inspiration and also use them to caption your Instagram and social media posts!
- You are only as young as you as your spine is flexible. Joseph Pilates
- Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness. Joseph Pilates
- Above all, learn how to breathe correctly. Joseph Pilates
- Change happens through movement and movement heals. Joseph Pilates
- A man is as young as his spinal column. Joseph Pilates
- The mind, when housed within a healthful body, possesses a glorious sense of power. Joseph Pilates
- Every moment of our life can be the beginning of great things. Joseph Pilates
- Pilates is complete coordination of body, mind and spirit. Joseph Pilates
- It’s the mind itself which shapes the body. Joseph Pilates
- Breathing is the first act of life and the last. Our very life depends on it. Joseph Pilates
- Everyone is the architect of their own happiness. Joseph Pilates
- Civilization impairs physical fitness. Joseph Pilates
- By all means never fail to get all the sunshine and fresh air you can. Joseph Pilates
- True flexibility can be achieved only when all muscles are uniformly developed. Joseph Pilates
Best Joseph Pilates Quotes To Help You Unlock Your Body’s Potential
We have cherry picked the best quotes by Joseph Pilates that will ignite your passion to discover and unlock your body’s potential. Every body is like a canvas, why not transform it into a masterpiece?
- When all your muscles are properly developed, you will, as a matter of course, perform your work with minimum effort and maximum pleasure. Joseph Pilates
- Good posture can be successfully acquired only when the entire mechanism of the body is under perfect control. Joseph Pilates
- Never slouch, as doing so compresses the lungs, overcrowds other vital organs, rounds the back, and throws you off balance. Joseph Pilates
- Man should develop his physical condition simultaneously with that of his mind. Joseph Pilates
- The Pilates Method teaches you to be in control of your body and not at its mercy. Joseph Pilates
- You must squeeze every atom of impure air from the lungs until they are almost as free of air as a vacuum. Joseph Pilates
- The acquirement and enjoyment of physical well-being, mental calm, and spiritual peace are priceless to their possessors. Joseph Pilates
- Ideally, our muscles should obey our will. Reasonably, our will should not be dominated by the reflex actions of our muscles. Joseph Pilates
- I learned…every part of the body; I would move each part as I memorized it. As a child, I would lie in the woods for hours, hiding and watching the animals move, how the mother taught the young. Joseph Pilates
- By exercising your stomach muscles, you wring out the body, you don’t catch colds, you don’t get cancer, you don’t get hernias. Do animals get hernias? Do animals go on diets? Joseph Pilates
- Time and progress are synonymous terms—nothing can stop either. Truth will prevail, and that is why I know that my teachings will reach the masses and finally be adopted as universal. Joseph Pilates
- Moreover, such a body freed from nervous tension and over-fatigue is the ideal shelter provided by nature for housing a well-balanced mind that is always fully capable of successfully meeting all of the complex problems of modern living. Joseph Pilates
- The man who uses intelligence with respect to his diet, his sleeping habits and who exercises properly, is beyond any question of doubt taking the very best preventive medicines provided so freely and abundantly by nature. Joseph Pilates
- To achieve the highest accomplishments within the scope of our capabilities in all walks of life we must constantly strive to acquire strong, healthy bodies and develop our minds to the limits of our ability. Joseph Pilates
- With body, mind, and spirit functioning perfectly as a coordinated whole, what else could reasonably be expected other than an active, alert, disciplined person? Joseph Pilates
Inspirational Joseph Pilates Quotes on Fitness and Ageing
Influenced by Eastern philosophies and meditation techniques, Pilates believed in the importance of the spinal column as the key to physical fitness and ageing. If you wish to explore this subject further, you can search the term “Kundalini”, which is the cornerstone of the Shaktism and Tantrism schools of Hinduism.
- Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase. Joseph Pilates
- Patience and persistence are vital qualities in the ultimate successful accomplishment of any worthwhile endeavor. Joseph Pilates
- In 10 sessions you’ll feel the difference, in 20 you’ll see the difference, and in 30 you’ll have a new body Joseph Pilates
- If your spine is inflexibly stiff at 30, you are old. If it is completely flexible at 60, you are young. Joseph Pilates
- We retire too early and we die too young. Our prime of life should be in the 70’s and old age should not come until we are almost 100. Joseph Pilates
- Man should bear in mind and ponder over the Greek admonition: Not Too Much, Not Too Little. Joseph Pilates
- It is better to be tired from physical exertion than to be fatigued by the ‘poisons’ generated by nervousness while lying awake. Joseph Pilates
Joseph Pilates Quotes About His Method
Joseph Pilates was a remarkable individual who revolutionized the world of fitness. Not only did he develop a series of well thought out exercises, but he also designed and patented his equipment. The following quotes provide valuable insight into his unique method.
- Through the Pilates Method of Body Conditioning this unique trinity of a balanced body, mind and spirit can ever be attained. Self-confidence follows. Joseph Pilates
- Pilates is gaining the mastery of your mind over the complete control over your body. Joseph Pilates
- Contrology develops the body uniformly, corrects wrong postures, restores physical vitality, invigorates the mind, and elevates the spirit. Joseph Pilates
- Contrology is not a system of haphazard exercises designed to produce only bulging muscles. Joseph Pilates
- I must be right. Never an aspirin. Never injured a day in my life. The whole country, the whole world, should be doing my exercises. They’d be happier. Joseph Pilates
- Contrology is designed to give you suppleness, natural grace, and skill that will be unmistakably reflected in the way you walk, in the way you play, and in the way you work. Joseph Pilates
- A few well-designed movements, properly performed in a balanced sequence, are worth hours of doing sloppy calisthenics or forced contortion. Joseph Pilates
- As a heavy rainstorm freshens the water of a sluggish or stagnant stream and whips it into immediate action, so does the Pilates Methods purify the bloodstream. Joseph Pilates
- Self-confidence, poise, consciousness of possessing the power to accomplish our desires, with renewed lively interest in life are the natural results of the practice of Contrology. Joseph Pilates
- Concentrate on the correct movement each time you exercise, lest you do them improperly and thus lose all the vital benefits. Correctly executed and mastered to the point of subconscious reaction, these exercises will reflect grace and balance in your routine activities. Joseph Pilates
- Contrology is not a fatiguing system of dull, boring, abhorred exercises repeated daily “ad-nauseam.” Neither does it demand you joining a gymnasium nor the purchasing of expensive apparatus. You may derive all the benefits of Contrology in your own home. Joseph Pilates
Joseph Pilates Quotes About Mental and Physical Health
A selection of enlightening quotes by Joseph Pilates about the importance of maintaining our physical and mental health. A healthy body leads to a healthy mind.
- Not only is health a normal condition, but it is our duty not only to attain it but to maintain it. Joseph Pilates
- Normal muscles should function naturally in much the same manner as do the muscles of animals. Joseph Pilates
- Our interpretation of physical fitness is the attainment and maintenance of a uniformly developed body with a sound mind fully capable of naturally, easily, and satisfactorily performing our many and varied daily tasks with spontaneous zest and pleasure. Joseph Pilates
- Telephones, automobiles, and economic pressure all combine to create physical letdown and mental stress so great that today practically no home is entirely free from sufferers of some form of nervous tension. Joseph Pilates
- Lazy breathing converts the lungs, figuratively speaking, into a cemetery for the deposition of diseased, dying, and dead germs as well as supplying an ideal haven for the multiplication of other harmful germs. Joseph Pilates
- Because of poor posture, practically 95% of our population suffers from varying degrees of spinal curvature, not to mention more serious ailments. Joseph Pilates
- The lungs cannot be completely deflated at first without considerable effort. With perseverance, however, the desired results can be accomplished and with increasing power, gradually and progressively develop the lungs to their maximum capacity. Joseph Pilates
Quotes About The Pilates Method By Famous Personalities
A great number of famous personalities follow Pilates as a method of physical fitness. Read on and discover how it works for them.
- I always work out. I do Pilates and yoga. Kim Delaney
- I think Pilates is great, especially when you can do it with a trainer who keeps you on track. Cate Blanchett
- Ten years of Pilates has really changed my body for the better. Lucy Liu
- I think it’s really important to mix cardio with toning, so I love boxing and then add in Pilates or ballet to keep me long and lean and avoid bulking up. Lily Aldridge
- Nothing good ever happens in a blackout. I’ve never woken up and been like, ‘What is this Pilates mat doing out?’ Amy Schumer
- I believe in holistic medicine, yoga, Pilates and so on. But I also believe in banana split sundaes once in a while. Gwyneth Paltrow
- If you read my blog, you know I’m a pilates freak. And by pilates, I mean waffles. Zach Galifianakis
- You apply Pilates in everyday life, like how you sit, how you walk. You’ve heard a lot of people complain about back problems; it is because these people walk incorrectly with the last vertebra of their tailbone. They stick it out instead of pulling it in and down. Romana Kryzanowska
- My exercise varies from yoga to Pilates. The yoga provides me with achieving my balance and mental relaxation, whereas the Pilates allow me to work my inner core through stretching and keeping my muscles toned. Erin Heatherton
- Pilates is an awesome cross-training exercise for any sport because it focuses on functional movement. Natalie Coughlin
- I love Pilates, I really do, and I do it three times a week because it works well for me. Aerin Lauder
Inspired by the Greek ideal of man and Eastern meditation practices, Pilates developed a comprehensive system of physical exercise and body conditioning that aims to co-ordinate body, mind and spirit. His revolutionary approach improves flexibility and posture, offering tremendous physical and mental benefits to its practitioners.
In today’s increasingly sedentary lifestyle, with minimal or no physical exercise, Pilates can work wonders for our overall wellness. So, what are you waiting for? Sneak some Pilates into your daily routine, unlock your body’s potential and enjoy an active life!
If you like it, pin it!
You May Also Like:
70 Inspirational Yoga Quotes for a Body, Mind and Soul Balance
Reclaim Your Power | 112 Healing Quotes
200+ Health Quotes to Help Us Set Our Priorities