What To Avoid When Bringing Children Up | 101 Bad Parents Quotes
No parent considers themselves a negligent parent. However, bad intentions aren’t the only issue during the upbringing of a child, and even the slightest negative effect can be a step towards the wrong direction. We may be neglecting or ignoring our beloved son or daughter without even realizing it, and that is bad parenting, too. This carefully picked selection of bad parents quotes from authors, poets and famous people that will inspire a change of attitude and help everyone involved in a child’s life be a better version of themselves – instead of a bad parent.
Even more, cases of extreme abuse, such as physical and verbal among others, are surely some of the most damaging behavior traits. Nevertheless, these are not the only types of violence children may be exposed to: anything from toxic behavior or emotional abuse to simply not listening will create a manifest outcome in their life – therefore, it must be stopped! If you come across or are conscious of such a situation, please don’t hesitate to contact the US Department of Health & Human Services.
All parents must take a look in the mirror – and that’s exactly where the words by famous people can help. Every mother and father can be become a better parent and all adults surrounding children must be more aware. The following quotes can help us make a start.
Table of Contents
- Bad Parents Quotes
- Selfish Parents Quotes
- Toxic Parents Quotes
- Αbsent Parents Quotes
- Overprotective Parents Quotes
Bad Parents Quotes
It can be hard to suspect someone is a bad parent, but a strong statement can be a safe to wake them up regarding their attitude.
- Being a parent does not give you an excuse for bad manners. Rosalind Wiseman
- Fear based parenting is the surest way to create intimidated children. Tim Kimmel
- Good parenting give headaches but bad parenting gives heartaches. Shiv Khera
- There are no illegitimate children – only illegitimate parents. Leon R. Yankwich
- What’s so sad is when we’re younger, if you have a bad parent, that is normal to you and that’s what you think of as healthy. Jennifer Lawrence
- If mental abuse was a punishable crime, a lot of parents would be in jail serving a long term. Maddy Malhotra
- Too bad for any parent who has become accustomed to ruling by force, because at some point the kids just get too big to slap around. Barbara Ehrenreich
- Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. Kittie Frantz
- If you teach hatred to your children, one day your child will have that hatred reflected back onto them and onto YOU. Suzy Kassem
- Today’s troubled homes are made by parents who want to have children but don’t want their children to have parents. Agona Apell
- Parents are the last people on earth who ought to have children. Samuel Butler
- Wounded parents often unintentionally inflict pain and suffering on their children … David W. Earle
- I’m worried about parents who aren’t parenting. Barbara Bush
- We raise predators by treating children as prey. Stefan Molyneux
- Kids are fat because of lack of parenting. Ben Shapiro
- You shouldn’t do that. Not to your child. You should-carry your own burdens. Cassandra Clare
- No child is born a delinquent. They only became that way if nobody loved them when they were kids. Jeannette Walls
- Here’s a shock: An adult who still hangs out in skate parks is a bad parent. Daniel Tosh
- No man should bring children into the world who is unwilling to persevere to the end in their nature and education. Plato
- If we never have headaches through rebuking our children, we shall have plenty of heartaches when they grow up. Charles Haddon Spurgeon
- Somewhat paradoxically, parenting programs should focus on the behavior of the parents not the behavior of the children. Timothy Carey
- Spanking a child is about the parent not the child. The child will learn more from positive correction than physical manipulation. Asa Don Brown
- … the majority of parents, without knowing it and without intending it, give very bad examples to their children. Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot
- What lingers from the parent’s individual past, unresolved or incomplete, often becomes part of her or his irrational parenting. Virginia Satir
- Permissiveness is the principle of treating children as if they were adults; and the tactic of making sure they never reach that stage. Thomas Szasz
- Having a child who is struggling doesn’t make you a bad parent, just as being a child who is struggling doesn’t make your child a bad kid. Ann Douglas
- I think there’s a lot of anxiety about being seen as a bad parent. There’s still a lot of subjects that I think people aren’t entirely comfortable being honest about. Adam Mansbach
- … parents who rely on their children for happiness make both their children and themselves miserable. Dennis Prager
Selfish Parents Quotes
Being a parent means -amongst others- that you are accepting the responsibility to provide what a child needs. These quotes explain what happens when parents don’t recognize that duty.
- Did you have parents or just some people who thought they should own somebody? Catherine Lacey
- Narcissist parents don’t care about their children’s feelings at all. Only their feelings matter. Kim Saeed.
- Don’t try to make children grow up to be like you, or they may do it. Russell Baker
- Parents. Honestly. Sometimes they really do think the world revolves around them. Randa Abdel-Fattah
- A person can’t pick up they children and just squeeze them to which-a-way they wants them to be. Carson McCullers
- Leave your pride, ego, and narcissism somewhere else. Reactions from those parts of you will reinforce your children’s most primitive fears. Henry Cloud
- It is the selfish parents who are to blame. Pay attention, be involved in your children’s lives. They are your legacy, your only hope. Aaron B. Powell
- People tend to raise the child inside of them rather than the child in front of them. Joe Newman
- Your kids require you most of all to love them for who they are, not to spend your whole time trying to correct them. Bill Ayers
- The hateful and stinging words of a narcissistic parent can linger in the mind of an adult child long after the adult has left home. Shannon Thomas.
- Narcissist parents do not know their children; they aren’t interested in what they have to say unless it affects them. Tina Fuller.
- Narcissist parents want total control. Take back your control. If possible, don’t accept any money, favor, items or anything from them. Tina Fuller.
- A narcissistic parent will provoke an independent child to anger in order to feel superior and prove the child’s flaws. Shannon Thomas.
- A narcissist parent is easily frustrated by a healthy independent child that they can’t control through parental emotional manipulation. Shannon Thomas.
- If we, as mothers, are not careful we can begin to find our identity in our children and their behavior. Sue Detweiler
- In the Narcisstic parent’s eyes, they do no wrong nor do they feel they should be held accountable for the bad and wrong things that they have done. Katherine Childress
Toxic Parents Quotes
Cutting bonds with parents off can be very hard to accept as an option, but what happens when you have a toxic relationship with a parent?
- Do your kids see your kindness or are you always telling them NO? Brenda M. McGraw
- They are not sorry for harming you. So, don’t feel guilty for cutting them off. John Mark Green.
- It has been my observation that parents kill more dreams than anybody. Spike Lee
- An unpredictable parent is a fearsome god in the eyes of a child. Susan Forward.
- Fighting became a way of life and seemed perfectly normal for your family. Steven Farmer
- It is a violation of trust to use your kids as caulking for the cracks in you. Anne Lamott
- It’s amazing how people can change behind closed doors. Susan Forward.
- In the minds of my parents, they are the victims; I am the abuser. Christina Enevoldsen
- Parents wonder why the streams are bitter when they themselves have poisoned the fountain. John Locke
- Some scars don’t hurt. Some scars are numb. Some scars rid you of the capacity to feel anything ever again. Joyce Rachelle
- You must let go of the responsibility for the painful events of your childhood and put it where it belongs. Susan Forward
- To all you parents out there, don’t make your little girls, or little boys, so thirsty for love that they will want to drink water that will poison them. Lisa Bedrick
- In troubled families, abuse and neglect are permitted. It’s talking about them that is forbidden. Marcia Sirota.
- When you grieve toxic, abusive parents, you don’t just grieve the abuse, you grieve everything you didn’t have. Lily Hope Lucario.
- My parents loved us but I wasn’t always sure they liked us. Tahereh Maf
- Your children vividly remember every unkind thing you ever did to them, plus a few you really didn’t. Mignon McLaughlin
- No child should ever have to bear the burden of parenting their own parents. To toxic parents, you existed to serve them all the time. Kim Saeed.
- I built up so much hatred for my parents, like so much anger for the life they had given me. Tana Mongeau
- The toxic parent sees the child as a threat to their own ego and having the child overshadow the parent is not an option in their mind. Shannon Thomas.
- Many children of toxic parents find it exceptionally difficult to identify who they are once they grow up. JR Thorpe.
- As long as you continue to react so strongly to them, you give them the power to upset you, which allows them to control you. Susan Forward
- Dysfunctional parents let their children know how burdened they have been by their children and how many sacrifices they had to make in order to raise them. Dr Marita Sirota
- Misbehavior and punishment are not opposites that cancel each other – on the contrary they breed and reinforce each other. Haim G. Ginott
- She shrieked and shrieked for her mother, but her mother was already there. Her mother was the monster. Holly Black
- The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder. Jim Morrison
- In some sense every parent does love their children. But some parents are too broken to love them well. Paul Young
- No one, however powerful and successful, can function as an adult if his parents are not satisfied with him. Frank Pittman
Αbsent Parents Quotes
Being present is the least a parent should do on a regular basis. The following quotes explore the possibility of their absence.
- Your children need your presence more than your presents. Jesse Jackson
- If you want your children to turn out well, spend twice as much time with them, and half as much money. Abigail Van Buren
- Parental Alienation is an emotional act of violence that is aimed at an adult, but critically wounds a child. Steve Maraboli
- To abandon a child … was an act so cold, so careless, it refused forgiveness. Kate Morton
- Children might or might not be a blessing, but to create them and then fail them was surely damnation. Lois McMaster Bujold
- If there’s no relationship with a father who’s absent, nobody talks about it. Charles B. Rangel
- If your parents ignored you, or if they are just not emotionally available, or if they yell a lot, that is a type of trauma. Tucker Max
- Parents are the centre of a person’s solar system, even as an adult. My dad had a stronger gravitational pull than most, so his absence was bound to leave a deep and lasting void. Justin Trudeau
- Relationships are built on small, consistent deposits of time…If you want to connect with your kids, you’ve got to be available consistently, not randomly. Andy Stanley
- With my parents busy at dinner parties and social events, we only met them as if for a daily royal audience. Charles K. Kao
- When a father, absent during the day, returns home at six, his children receive only his temperament, not his teaching. Robert Bly
- Fathers should be neither seen nor heard. That is the only proper basis for family life. Oscar Wilde
- I know what it feels like to miss everything about him–the way he smells, the way his mouth curls up when he laughs, his voice. Travis Neighbor Ward
- I didn’t have parents, so I lived in people’s homes… And because I grew up with no parental role models, I learned to become my own friend, eventually my own father and my own mother. John Lone
- If you do not have a close friendship with your children, I will. Child Molester warning all parents from the book Type 1 Sociopath. P.A. Speers
- Boys want to grow up to be like their male role models. And boys who grow up in homes with absent fathers search the hardest to figure out what it means to be male. Geoffrey Canada
- That always seemed to be the most critical test that a child was confronted with – loss of parents, loss of direction, loss of love. Can you live without a mother and a father? Maurice Sendak
- Growing up in New Jersey, teen clubs were your life. I’m not kidding! That was it. I was literally tied up five days a week with teen clubs; my parents would drop me off. Like, I didn’t even drive. Michelle Visage
Overprotective Parents Quotes
Mistakes are part of the learning process, so creating a bubble around your children can lead to undesired results.
- Where parents do too much for their children, the children will not do much for themselves. Elbert Hubbard
- Parents have got to chill out. Let your kid eat dirt – they’re gonna be fine! Jeff Garlin
- It’s impossible to protect your kids against disappointment in life. Nicholas Sparks
- I wish you would moderate that fondness you have for your children. Mary Wortley Montagu
- Don’t handicap your children by making their lives easy. Robert A. Heinlein
- Simply building a fence between a child and temptation is not the same things as preparing him to face life. Barbara R. Duguid
- Parents shouldn’t assume children are made out of sugar candy and will break and collapse instantly. Kids don’t. We do. Maurice Sendak
- The attempt to prevent our kids from struggling for fear it might scar their permanent records is, instead, scarring them for life. Heather Choate Davis
- I think some parents fall into a trap, teaching their kids that everything is always perfect and everyone is always a winner. Summer Sanders
- Modern parents want to nurture so skillfully that Mother Nature will gasp in admiration at the marvels their parenting produces from the soft clay of children. George Will
- We try to bring up our children so that they are protected from the world’s evils, only to find we’ve raised a pack of innocents who seem to be about to stumble into them at every turn just from sheer stupidity! Samuel R. Delany
You May Also Find Worth Reading: